Monday, December 12, 2011

Monterrico

Haley and I went to Monterrico which is on the coast of Guatemala this weekend after we both finished work on Friday (Haley started at Las Obras and loved it!). Our trip was just supposed to be a relaxing weekend at the beach since we both didn't have work, which it was, but it wound up being productive as well! We did a lot of lounging at the beach and road horses, but I also met these two girls who work for an organization called MuJER and work alongside Tierra Viva, the organization I wrote about in November that I wanted to meet people at!

MuJER sounds like an amazing organization. Based in Guatemala City, the organization aims to promote women's rights through education and awareness and works to empower female sex workers through giving them classes. I want to visit them before I leave to see their work. At Dartmouth we do a V-Day fundraiser and I'm hoping we don't have an organization yet because I think this one would be perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment