Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mi Familia

My host parents here are Yolanda and Javier and they're wonderful. They have 3 kids but all of them are grown up and live on their own, so for the past nine years they've been taking in students and volunteers. Right now have 6 foreigners living with them (two Germans, one Danish person, another American and me and Haley). The other American is volunteering with Maximo as well in a clinic. The Europeans are all adults (like one is 30 and one is 50) and studying Spanish. When I first arrived there was also a women from England volunteering at a school here as well - her youngest just left for college so she decided to come here for 10 weeks! It's been interesting having meals with such a smorgasbord of people!!

Yolanda is wonderful and makes all of us breakfast every morning. She has two maids who do all the cooking and cleaning during the rest of the day. I was talking to one of the maids and she's only 15 and told me she stopped school at 11 because she didn't like it. I couldn't even imagine that. I'm going to miss having such wonderful, smiling people welcoming me home from work every day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment